In today’s episode, I continue to explore the minds and experiences of the entrepreneurs that make the San Diego community so interesting and energetic. Our guest, Sean Haggerty, is a retired Navy SEAL and the founder of Protector Brewery.
We start by discussing the challenging journey that Sean endured to earn entry into the Navy SEALs. He signed up at 17 and overcame intense mental and physical obstacles while training to serve his country and test himself against the best of the best.
Sean then shares how service and his entrepreneurial spirit intersected – he actually brewed his first beer while located in a combat zone! While his first batch wasn’t the best (it was brewed in a Gatorade container), Sean got hooked on the process and knew that’s what he wanted to do when he left the service. Every ambitious listener can learn from Sean’s story.
What You’ll Learn:
- The story of Sean’s military service and core values that have led to his success in business after leaving the service.
- What it takes mentally and physically to get through Navy SEAL training.
- How Sean taught himself to brew beer while actively serving in a combat zone.
- The thorough and intense education that Sean went through to prepare himself for opening his brewery.
- Why Sean chose to brew organic beer and the impact that his choice had on the success of his brewery.
- Challenges Sean and his team have faced along their entrepreneurial journey and how he tackled them.
Resources for this Episode:
- Sean Haggerty: Website | LinkedIn
- The Selection: Special Operations Experiment
- How To Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Great Beer Every Time by John J. Palmer
- Master Brewer’s Association
- Rady School of Management at UCSD
- Craig McKenzie
- The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki
- Warrior IPA
Enjoy the Show? Subscribe on iTunes and Stitcher!
Actionable Ideas to Maximize Your Wealth
And no, giving up your daily Starbucks isn't one of them. Stay connected and never miss an update. Join the Stay Wealthy newsletter.