Joining us on the show today is Jonathan Barbarin, co-founder of Thunderhawk Alements. He shares the incredible story of how he and his partner, Bill Lindsay, left their high-paying corporate jobs, cashed out savings, and went all in on chasing their dream of starting a craft brewery.
Jon discusses where the vision for the business came from, how they creatively secured funding, the legal issues that almost crushed their dreams, and how one of their most popular beers found its way to the New York Times.
He emphasizes the importance of investing in yourself and why getting outside your comfort zone and taking risks is critical to the success of a business. Jonathan also talks about the highs and lows of their journey, what ultimately got them through it, and why it was so important for them to stay focused on their end goal even when all hope seemed to be lost. Be sure to listen to the end where Jon shares his vision for the future of Thunderhawk and the importance of providing a unique experience to customers in addition to serving a great product.
What You’ll Learn:
- The difficulties of starting an independent craft brewery.
- What it takes to go from idea and concept.
- Why he thinks going “All in” is the best way to start a business.
- Behind the scenes of how they started a craft brewery.
- The creative and motivational benefits of getting uncomfortable and outside of your comfort zone.
- The trademarking battle and common issues in craft brewing.
- How they managed funding throughout the growth process.
- How they ended up getting featured by the NY Times and becoming a respected business within the community.
- What differentiates Thunderhawk Alements from other craft breweries in San Diego.
Resources for this Episode:
- Jonathan Barbarin: Website | LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
- Beer on a Budget in San Diego – NY Times
- Firestone Walker
- Ep #5: Developing and Applying the Mental Strength of a Navy SEAL with Sean Haggerty
- Ballast Point Brewing – Little Italy
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company
- Mason Aleworks
- Wild Barrel Brewing
- Tomahawk – Tuatara Brewing
- Supernatural Sandwiches
Thanks for Listening!
I appreciate you visiting our site today and listening to this episode.
If you’re listening through the Apple Podcast App, please help us by partnering with us to grow this movement. The first step to helping us reach more San Diegan’s is to leave a 5-star review for the Stay Wealthy San Diego Podcast! (Please click the link from your cell phone, then click the REVIEWS tab).
Ratings, reviews, and subscribes are extremely helpful to expanding our reach within the Apple community.
Enjoy the Show? Subscribe on iTunes and Stitcher!
Actionable Ideas to Maximize Your Wealth
And no, giving up your daily Starbucks isn't one of them. Stay connected and never miss an update. Join the Stay Wealthy newsletter.